Business Administration Education Guide

Monday, January 08, 2007

5 Ways To Reduce Your Stress Against Rudeness

I had always thought as a general Know Before You Go that Los Angeles would have the rudest people. However, I’ve now lived in the area almost 5 years and I can confirm it’s not Los Angeles, but Sherman Oaks, CA that has the rudest people in the entire county.

I live in the Sherman Oaks area and I travel to different part of Los Angeles on a weekly basis. I’ve found that I have friendlier encounters in Los Angels and surrounding neighborhoods than I have ever had in Sherman Oaks.

With that said, here are 5 ways to reduce your stress when confronted by rudeness.

* Don’t take it personally. Perhaps the offender is having a bad day or maybe they are so use to being the subject of rude people that they themselves have become the rude person.
* Size up your annoyances. Is it really worth making a fuss over something small, or is it a waste of your time and emotional well being?

Close to wear I work, I recently went to lunch even though my injured back was hurting me. As I stood in line waiting for my turn a women in a very stylish business suite walked in front of me and started to place her order. During this I kept asking myself should I say something? Is it really worth it? By the time she was done, I just knew I would want to kick myself if I didn’t say something. So quietly, politely but firmly I said, it’s normal practice to get behind the person at the front of the line. She was taken back and genuinely apologized. I smiled warmly and accepted her apology and that was that.

Sometimes, people honestly do not realize that they’re being rude. I know I have had my head filled with everything going on in my life and just wasn’t paying attention.

* Set a good example. Rudeness begets rudeness. If you speak sharply to the bank teller, don’t be surprised if you get the same treatment in return.
* Laugh it off. If you can’t come up with a friendly joke, just chuckle and change the subject.
* Count to ten. When someone’s behavior makes you angry, take a few deep breaths and ask yourself, “Is it really worth blowing my stack over this?”

As I mentioned earlier, I currently have a hurt back and I’m noticeably limping. In the grocery store yesterday, there was a cart on the right coming towards me and my cart already in the isle going the other way. I saw a young women quickly walking towards me. Knowing she wouldn’t be able to get through I backed my cart up (limping) and moved to the right. However as she was about to pass me I could see she hand no intention of recognizing my effort. So I simply said “Your welcome” and left it at that. She didn’t turn around and there was no way for her to not hear my voice (I speak loudly), however I hope she got the message that when someone dos something polite, the least you can do is say thank you.


Find A College

Here are a guideline for invitations according to the Emily Post Institute

The Event When to Invite
Anniversary party 3 to 6 weeks
Bar or Bat Mitzvah 1 month
Bon Voyage party Last minute to 3 weeks
Casual party Same day to 2 weeks
Charity Ball 6 weeks to 3 months
Christmas party 1 month
Cocktail party 1 to 4 weeks
Debutante Ball 6 weeks to 3 months
Formal dinner 3 to 6 weeks
Graduation party 3 weeks
Housewarming party A few days to 3 weeks
Informal dinner A few days to 3 weeks
Lunch or Tea A few days to 2 weeks
Thanksgiving dinner 2 weeks to 2 months

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home