Business Administration Education Guide

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

The government plans to WHIP Americans into shape

Work Place Health Trends

As a founder and Co-Chairman of the Congressional Fitness Caucus, I believe we have a duty to create as many incentives as possible to get Americans off the couch and moving. This is why I introduced H.R.1634, the Workforce Health Improvement Program (WHIP) Act.

Rand Corporation research found the proportion of the severely obese was 50 percent higher in 2005 than it had been in 2000.

Maybe I'm the best example of a person who should not be writing on the subject of Health & Fitness. Than again, I may be the best person to write about it. I'm not a Richard Simmons health groupie but I do recognize my need for structured health activities and work outs.

Automated personal trainer systems such as Access Personal Trainer will never work for me because I find them tedious. Just reading that it offers tables, fields, queries, forms, reports, detailed diagrams, dozens of task-oriented lessons and interactive training simulations is enough for me to grab a package of Chocolate Zingers ( a devilish favorite) and drop into a comfy lounge chair with a book and a Chai latte.

However, I have a variety of activities that I want to try and do before the the Corporate CEO of Life sends down the elevator to pick me up. All of the activities on my list require some small to extended health training. So it's to the gym I go.

I use a Personal Trainer from time to time to help me stay on the right track so I can do the activities I want to do. However, it’s not all about weights. Whether you want to train for a 10K, learn Tai Chi for stress reduction, or your like me and you just want to be able to do activities like surfing or trail hiking – a personal trainer can help you with personal goals.

I know some people find personal trainers annoying because they are always pushing you to buy vitamins and supplements and stop smoking and stop drinking stuff that is bad for you.

But the ugly truth is that vitamins and supplements are a modern day necessity.

If you don't have any kind of health problems, feel very lucky, but you still need vitamins and supplements. If you have any kind of medical aliment or your an alphabet soup of health problems... your crazy for not taking vitamins and supplements (in my opinion).

Once you tell your personal trainer all of your dirty little (junk) food and health secrets, s/he can recommend which vitamins and supplements are best for you.

Reasons to use a personal trainer:

Socializing instead of sweating - When you get distracted by a long conversation, you may not move as much or lift the weights as hard as you would otherwise. Personal trainers exist to make you question if Hell is more pleasant than your gym time.

Following the same old routine - You hit the gym on autopilot. Enough activity to keep your heart healthy but not gain any muscle or lose much more weight beyond a certain point.

Incorrectly using the equipment – Take it from someone with an alphabet soup of health problems... This is bad!

At one point I had actually considered becoming a Personal Trainer, than I decided I loved my chocolate Zingers, Chai Lattes, work free weekends and laziness way too much.

Businesses on the other hand are waking up to the fact that reshaping the fitness of their employees can shave off thousands of dollar pounds off their Worker's Compensation expenses.

In an effort to reduce the costs associated with Worker’s Compensation, many employers are now requiring pre-employment physicals. The law permits a medical examination if the medical evaluation is conducted after an offer of employment has been made. However, one blogger stated that after he took his pre-employment physical and started work the next day (clerical work) the pre employment physical results came back stating he needed to lose weight and he had six months to do so or he would be terminated.

Personal Trainer Careers May Be the Next Big Career Trend

At some point within the 2007 calendar year, congress may approve the Workplace Health Improvement Program - The Whip Act (insert joke here) would exempt a company's contributions for the costs of fitness center membership fees from an employee's income tax.

If the bill H.R.1634 passes, the career opportunities for personal trainers will greatly increase and produce a new search for professionals to fill the jobs and career openings. Not only at gyms, but in a variety of health and physical activity related businesses.

These could include: Click here to read the rest of the article

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home